Monday, November 1, 2010

Could This Be Real?


My Main Dish


Verrines of Oyster Tempura
COULD THIS BE REAL?!

yes ... even i am in a bit of shock i am actually posting this...im just as bewildered as you...ha!


As I type this post.. I'm not sure the degree of shame/embarrassment I feel…four whole months…sigh

I will confess the honest truth and not use school or any of my activities to be the blame carrier for my gross complacency. So truth be told, I have allowed a chronic case of laziness and procrastination take a strong grip and hold of my life…in the last four months….but I won’t stay defeated forever…

I move past all the guilty feelings, the “distrust” you may have in me… and break the cycle and post this…

Part of my struggles with ding this post was that…all my stories would have lost all its “flavour” and the novelty would be gone…but I would tap deep into my mind and make sure I do good “blasts from the past” and make sure I keep writing from time to time. And my life hopefully would be to boring in the near future! I strongly doubt that!
This morning as I woke up too my annoying alarm, after scrolling through twitter I just looked at my computer and opened my Microsoft word (which I had almost forgotten where it was…) and said to myself….i shall post!!!

Finals

So, so far so good…..like a dream I finish my Le Cordon Bleu journey on Thursday! Yes this Thursday! My final exam happens at 10:50am! Wow! I remember when I was running around for visa, not too sure where the funds were coming from, my first few cold nights in Paris, my first day at school, being catered too and left to gorge on excess croissants and orange juice…. Now I'm Superior, having my final exam on Thursday and kissing my Cordon Bleu whites for the last time….wow….God is faithful…all I can say!

It’s been an amazing journey but I'm not Joel Robuchon yet!… and like I told my Unlce Tunde when he asked me “so are you a good chef now?” I couldn’t say yes because I definitely didn’t not have the 20 years experience some of my chefs had, so my 8months of learning at their feet even with all my expensive school fees doesn’t give me the right to say yes! So I answered “no Unlce, but it’s been a whole learning experience! Learning from other students who had from 2 to 10 years experience…I can’t be messing with them”… Yes you read right 2 to 10 year’s experience!!! So who was a Nigerian-Self-Taught-TVShow-Junkie supposed to be next to them?! Don’t get me wrong… I rock in the kitchen…I know I'm good but I have a lot to still learn… however, one of my chefs continually tells me how he’s so proud of my improvement since Basic….. Yes I got that comment like 3 times now and that all the encouragement I need.
However, my million dollar tuition fee hasn’t been in vain either… learning all I have learnt is priceless it takes some other people years to learn what I know in just 8months so it’s worth it anyhow.
The food in Superior was really good…a few things I still couldn’t relate with or plain hated… but in general great stuff and we were allowed to be more creative with our food and do “almost” what we wanted.
As I type this I am anticipating typing my menu for my exam as well. I have chosen to make the below
Amusbush
(the appetizer to the meal)
A Verrine Of A Tomato Essence With Bloody Mary Ice Jelly With A Basil Granita And Oyster Tempura

Main Dish

San Choi Bow
(A Lettuce Wrap With A Mélange Of Chestnuts, Walnuts, Scallops, Golden Chanterelle Mushrooms, Parsley, Soy Sauce) Served In A Scallop Shell With

Cumin Spiced Monkfish on A Pumpkin Puree With Crispy Bacon And Chives Topped With Salsify Chips

With a Caramalised Onion and Cognac Sauce

So yeah that’s my dish….and pictures below….from my practice

I know you may go “wow…that’s awesome” but I'm nervous as ever!!! Cos I have to meet the time and my speed has to be mega on point!!! And that’s still a not so strong point for now but I'm just leaving everything to God’s hands….I have no other choice but to be fine!

MY LIFE….

Apart from all my school drama, etc… I think I'm doing well …Hillsong has been of great help helping me stay focused with my dear Jesus. I'm not going to be all self righteous and say I haven’t done some shameful things….but I have learnt all the way and that’s what counts…
don’t worry for those of you who know me…I have done nothing too extreme…. I haven’t been drunk yet for example…(though I was at the toll gate! LoL!) Yes nothing to serious… hahaaa
But did I mention I am ready to stay in Paris for another year? Well I'm saying now… I'm trusting God for a job so I can move back for a year there about and gain more experience… and keep living the dream….
Many may ask… “When are you going to set up your own thing” well right now I can’t answer definitely… but all I can say is “soon” … annoying answer right? But I'm sorry that’s the best I’ve got! For now at least…. And when I happen you would know!
Before I sign off I would like to say I'm shocked how terribly addicted I have become to my blackberry…and it didn’t help when my best friend got one…and with Twitter as well….*sigh* I need rehab! But it helps me keep in touch with home and a world I know very well!
I have also via my Blackberry met and made people I consider are very good friends now….cant wait to meet people like Jibola Lawal, Ugochi, in person and also people like Aizehi I haven’t seen in forever!!and Seun Williams whom became such a good friend via BB… though we went to the same school for 4 years together we never said more than “hello, hi , wassup” to each other.. now we are planning things to do when I get back! And also some of the “old friends” that have decided to turn their back on me nko? Sigh….such is life….

I leave for Normandy on Friday…another Region of France with a couple of classmates… we are calling it the last Hurrah! I pad for that trip to give one last chance to bond with people I hope I can call true friends and an excuse to do something different I hope would be serious fun and an experience I would never forget!

Lest I forget I start my IT on the 15th on November and I'm expecting the worst! “Gbubemi! Why so negative??” you may ponder or even ask out loud…. Ermmm this is my argument… I'm going to be free labour….and I want experience…. So who’s gonna do all the dirty work? Yes you guessed right… but it’s overcoming the worst that makes one stronger? Right?
I'm going to be working at a restaurant called “Market” quite an upscale restaurant that does fusion food which is my area of passion and core interest… I'm truly hoping it would be a great experience in the long run.


And I am happy to announce I have actually lost some weight!!! *someone shout halleluyah* but I need to keep up with my running which I have abandoned in the last month (shameful face) don’t want to get comfortable and pile up all the excess luggage again!!!!
So yes expect some blasts from the past….I will break free from this laziness and procrastination streak!!! Yes I can!!!

I can’t finish this post without thanking God for my family who made this possible…. I promise to make you all proud!

A Bientot!

4 comments:

Titilope Animashaun said...

Lollsss...nice one. Raised eyebrow though @ the "And I am happy to announce I have actually lost some weight!!! *someone shout halleluyah* "

Proud of you though...when you've set up your own thing,I'll boldly say "Hey!!!That fat guy(guess you'ld have lost alota weight then lol)was once my leader.

Mwuahh...Titi Animashaun

AKINBAYO said...

Congratulations Gbubemi, U finished what u started! One more thing, My taste-buds were whetting all-over while reading this article, In essence U'd gained 1 customer for the Awesome Dude's Upscale Restaurant. Dont worry, we all will wait...Have Fun, Live the Dream

www.wunmixp.blogspot.com

Weyinmi said...

Awww, Gbube congrats. Im so proud of you. We made fun of you and your food obsession when we were kids now who's having the last laugh? lol

Go ye therefore and be a fantastic chef. Mwah

dew said...

nice...success :)

Post a Comment